9.10.2008

I'm a designer who appreciates clean lines and modern architecture. I am convinced that a new building should reflect the times we live in and not imitate the classical stylings of years past. Yet, in my heart, I'm a collector of the years past. Pieces of history call out to me, especially if they are personal. Jars from my grandmas basement, potato baskets from the garden, door plates from the old farm find a place in my heart and my home. My latest shopping trip with my sister highlighted this trait in both of us. We are unable to find beautiful objects in bins at IKEA or Target. Or at least, we can admire them, but if there is no history or memory of the collecting or making of an object, it really isn't perfect for us. So we collect and we make and we sew...adding to the precious treasures over many years. Its genetic...my grandma just gave up many treasures from many years...hopefully she still has the memories and now she has shared them with us.

No comments: